Sunday, April 10, 2011

Some Final Thoughts

I would like to share a few last things with you.  First and foremost, THANK YOU for helping make this trip possible!  Thank you for your support, whether it was financial, emotional, or spiritual...it all means so much to me!  I am very grateful for all of you!

Many of you have asked me what I have been doing since my trip and am I staying involved with church and God and serving, etc.  Let me tell you that my spiritual journey has continued to grow since my trip to New York.  In August 2010, I decided to commit myself to following Jesus by getting baptized.  What an emotional experience that was!  Also, at the end of our trip, my team had discussed the idea of continuing to serve together as a team.  We have joined with other churches and organization led by Elevate Detroit (also can be found at Elevate Detroit Facebook) that meet up every Saturday afternoon to have a BBQ with (not for) our homeless and needy friends in Detroit, otherwise referred to as CommuniD BBQ.  My team has committed to the 2nd Saturday each month, but really anyone can show up on any Saturday.  We bring and serve food, clothes, and simply hang out with them and show the love God.  I've been able to do this a handful of times so far and Scott even got to join me the last time.  Also, Scott and I have signed up to serve meals on Easter Sunday at the Detroit Rescue Mission and we're looking forward to that.  I also joined a bible study group in Sept 2010 led by one of my NYC mission trip team members.  And I continue to deliver food to home-bound seniors every month through the Oakland-Livingston Human Service Agency, which I've been doing since December 2009.  God has opened so many doors for me and I can't wait to see what else He has in store!  Thank you again for your support and also for sharing in this experience with me!

Here is a link to some pictures taken by various team members, including myself.  I included some sight-seeing pictures for those of you who have never been to NYC (this was my first time!)  There is a separate album for each day of the trip...simply click an album, then on the first picture and then you can scroll through one picture at a time. When done viewing an album, there is a tab above the picture called "Laurie's Gallery", click on that and it will bring you back to all the albums. Some of the pictures do have captions at the bottom to tell you where we were as well as share a couple more stories from the trip not included in this journal...NYC Pictures

Matthew 25: 35-40  "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave something to drink...I needed clothes and you clothed me...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Luke 12: 22-33  "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.  Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes...And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it...your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you also."

Matthew 10:8  "Freely you have received, freely give."

1 Peter 4:10  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

2 comments:

  1. Laurie, your blog and writing and experiences are just amazing to read about! Thank you so much for sharing! As much as you gave while you were there, I'm sure you feel as if you received more than you gave....interesting that you mentioned Detroit Rescue Mission, that's one of the charities I started donating to about 6-7 years ago....so I was excited a couple years ago when I got to speak with the director, Chad Audi, for a project at work a couple years ago, he was very nice!
    Good luck and God bless in all of your future spiritual endeavours! Love you and proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aunty for your kind words! Yes, I definitely feel I received more than I gave, which is truly a gift! Love you!

    ReplyDelete